Energy assessments, audits, and surveys are means to determine the energy consumption of the property. Some indicators that could imply loss of energy efficiency are:
- High energy bills
- Mold, mildew, musty odors
- Damp basement
- Cold floors in the winter
- Drafty rooms
- Excessive dust
- Moisture or condensation near windows and doors
- Peeling paint
- Hot or cold rooms
- Dry indoor air in the winter
Energy Assessment –
- An energy survey is the simplest form of analysis. The walk-through survey doesn’t usually include diagnostic tools or testing, but does produce an evaluation report that provides recommendations and suggested corrective measures.
- The energy survey is conducted by an evaluator performing a visual inspection of such aspects as the building aspects (windows, walls, doors, insulation, etc.); ducts; heating/cooling units; appliances; lighting, moisture indicators, and a review of utility bills.
Next time…we’ll discuss energy audits & assessments.
I would be honored to help you with your real estate needs and happy to explain tax benefits and other aspects related to financing a home or investment property. Also, I’d love to discuss these ‘green’ aspects and help you understand what the implications of energy efficient design and construction might mean to you as you search for a new or existing home. Just give me a call or contact me.